What is a Zipper Overlay
If you make a zipper pocket, you can add an overlay to strengthen it and to give it a better, high quality look. I used to use faux leather. You can use vinyl or genuine leather as well.
You can download my template from the product list for free.
Step by Step
- Place the template on a piece of faux leather (or vinyl or genuine leather)
- Mark the size in the middle what you would like to use.
I used 20cm.
- Draw around the template on the left side. All the external border and the zipper part too.
- Shift the template to the left till the sign of the size matches to the middle point you selected.
It was 20cm for me.
- Draw around the right side of the template. All the external and the zipper part too.
- Remove the template.
- Cut it all the way around. I used very sharp scissors.
- Cut the zipper part as well.
The precision knife works the best to me.
- Place the zipper overlay on the fabric you would like to add the zipper pocket.
- Sew it around as close to the edge as you can(1-2mm).
I used 3.5 stitch length. I never make backstitch but I always pull the thread to the wrong side, make a knot and and melt the polyester thread. I make hand crank on the curves. When I reach the last stitch I stop sewing and I position the needle to the beginning of the first stitch. I pull the thread to the wrong side, make the know and melt the polyester thread.
- You can add your sew-on label to the bottom as I did. Perfect position 😉
- Cut off the fabric from the bottom.
It is not important to make it nice or perfect, it will be hidden 😉
- Take your zipper and place it wrong side up.
- Place your zipper pocket piece wrong side up.
- Sew them together.
- Fold it up.
- Place the right side of the other zipper pocket piece on the wrong side of the zipper tape.
- Sew them together.
- Fold the pocket pieces aside.
- Flip it.
Now the right side of the zipper tape is up
- Place the zipper overlay on the zipper. Center it.
You can use double sided tape to fix it.
- Sew the zipper around as close to the edge as you can.
- Turn it back.
- Fold the top pocket pieces to the bottom one.
- Sew the 3 sides together
Keep the bottom open if the instructions say so.
- You are done! 🙂